I am giving an invitational test for the first time...help!
If you are giving the test on the computer, here are some key steps to make sure that your meet is successful.
- Read the printed instructions that come with the test. Print and become familiar with the administration instructions.
- Make sure that your computer is configured to a printer and sound is audible ahead of time! Have someone (it is best to use an individual who is not directly involved with spelling) click through the test on each computer to hear the pronunciations and to see if the printing feature works.
- Make sure the students are aware that the computer test does have a timing element. Each test has a different time. We allow more time than UIL guidelines for keyboarding purposes. If a student does not continuously work on the test once it starts, they risk getting "shut out". The different timings are on the instruction sheet for grades 3-8. The timings are also provided by the computer program. Click here for 3-8 Instruction Sheet.
- When your student completes the test, they will see a screen instructing them to stop and await instruction from you. IMPORTANT: Do not let a student leave the testing room until a printed test is complete or you have recorded the score from his/her final screen. ASW strongly advises that you take a screenshot of the final score screen or use your phone to take a picture of the score screen for each speller. For each student there will be a summary page printed, along with the student’s response to each question. The student’s name and school will be printed on each page (depending upon your printer setup). You will want to staple all pages of the printout together and use them to rank the students before returning the results to the students at the end of the competition.
- If a student runs out of time, you have two options. If they have not had access to materials, you could allow them to take it again. The second option is to print the test and call out the words that they did not get to and have them write that portion of the test. Manually grade it and adjust the printed score.
Our invitational test did not print….can I retrieve it?
If a student’s results fail to print, the program has set up a temporary file for each student in the Windows Temp folder. The files will be designated ASWIT~School name - Student name.txt. To retrieve the information, go to the computer used by the student whose results didn’t print, go to the program’s Welcome Screen and remove all temporary files by pressing Shift and Right-clicking on the vertical blue ASW logos (located in the border of the program on both sides of the screen) and choosing the option to remove the files. Then go to the Recycle Bin and drag the file you need to the desktop, open it, and print the results. Another option is to search the C: drive for "ASWIT" and see if the test can be located.
I need an ordering brochure.
Click here for ASW Enterprises Brochure
Flash Card Instructions:
Part I Instructions:
Spelling Program Instructions: