NEW for 2015-2016
1. There will be a new format for the High School UIL test. You will like it! Our invitationals will reflect the new format.
2. Our Word Power Companion has a new addition to the root section. I would love your feedback on this new feature.
3. Checkpoint Tests will have a computer feature only. The sole purpose of this program is to give instant feedback as your students use the ASW materials.
4. Platinum and Gold packages will have all programs on one CD. I tried to condense the audios also but that would only work if everyone used computers (so I have to leave them in the format that will still play on CD players which makes the files much bigger).
5. The sheet of paper that has the instructions (that most of you don't need!) is now found in PDF format on the program CD. It is there if you need it. Otherwise, one less tree sacrificed.
Where is Sue?
Sue Wiggins, founder of ASW, decided to retire this year after 28 years. My name is Christina Price and I am the new owner. I have had 18 years of experience coaching spelling, and after many trips to the state meet, I ended my coaching career with a team State Championship. Sue is still very active helping me to learn all of the aspects of creating the products and maintaining the business. There is so much to learn! Sue is an amazing lady, and I know you all wish her a wonderful and restful retirement. She has earned it.
What are your hours?
During the busy season (Sept.-Nov), I will be in the office from 9-5.
The best way to get a faster response is to email me at email@example.com My email also comes to my cell phone so I still get this when I am out of the office.
How do I print the lists of words for the tests or instructions if I am using the computer program?
How much is shipping/handling?
A charge of $10.00 is added to each order. We ship UPS ground.
What is the earliest date that I can receive my materials each school year?
We are usually ready to ship materials mid-August.
Is the computer program licensed for only one computer?
No. You can install on as many computers as needed on your campus, and you can send home with your students to install on their personal computers.
Where is the official UIL Word Power?
Official UIL Word Power and A+ Spelling lists are now available as downloads from www.uiltexas.org
Do you have any material that lists all of the words in alphabetical order?
We offer Alphabetical Spelling Tests for all levels. You can also find an alphabetical list for high school in the Word Power Companion in the Phonetic Spellings section.
Are the words on this year’s list the same as last year’s list?
No, UIL revises the list for all grade levels every year.
Do you have a printable brochure of products?
Do you prepare tests for Invitational Meets?
Yes, we do. Please see the invitational meet section on our website. If you choose to fax an order, please include a completed printout of the order form and we ask that you place this order at least a month in advance. We ship your invitational 2-3 weeks before the meet date.
What is the difference between Practice Tests and Practice Tests Plus?
The Practice Tests Plus includes a preview audio CD . Each preview alphabetizes the words on your Practice Test and pronounces them at a faster pace for study purposes. You also receive a printed list of these previews.
How do I access the PDF files that are on the computer CD?
1. Put Computer CD in disc drive
2. Go to Start
3. Select Computer
4. Right click on DVD drive
5. Select Open
6. PDF and Computer files should appear!
Click here for printable Instructions on Retrieving PDF Files.
Can you help me with administering an invitational test?
If you are giving the test on the computer, here are some key steps to make sure that your meet is successful.
- Read the printed instructions that come with the test. Print and become familiar with the administration instructions (this is included in PDF format on testing CD).
- Make sure that your computer is configured to a printer ahead of time! Have someone (it is best to use an individual who is not directly involved with spelling) click through the test to see if the printing feature works.
- Make sure the students are aware that the computer test does have a timing element. Each test has a different time. We allow more time than UIL guidelines for keyboarding purposes. If a student does not continuously work on the test once it starts, they risk getting "shut out". The different timings are on the instruction sheet for grades 3-8. The timings are also provided by the computer program. Click here for 3-8 Instruction Sheet.
- When your student completes the test, make sure that they see a screen with this message..."The grading is now complete, and the test results are printed, click the 'Back' button to reset the test." Once you have the results in your hand, then let them click "Next" or if you have another student that will need to take the test on that computer, click "Back" to reset. Do not let the student leave the testing room until you have the printed test in front of you. If your test does not print, please see the next section.
- If a student runs out of time, you have two options. If they have not had access to materials, you could allow them to take it again. The second option is to print the test and call out the words that they did not get to and have them write that portion of the test. Manually grade it and adjust the printed score.
Our invitational test did not print….can I retrieve it?
If a student’s results fail to print, the program has set up a temporary file for each student in the Windows Temp folder. The files will be designated ASWIT~School name - Student name.txt. To retrieve the information, go to the computer used by the student whose results didn’t print, go to the program’s Welcome Screen and remove all temporary files by pressing Shift and Right-clicking on the vertical blue ASW logos (located in the border of the program on both sides of the screen) and choosing the option to remove the files. Then go to the Recycle Bin and drag the file you need to the desktop, open it, and print the results.